Saturday, November 17, 2007


So, me and my brother were playing darts this week and it made me think of physics. The dartboard was at rest when the dart collided with it. I guess that made it a completely inelastic collision since they "stuck" to each other. That means that although momentum was conserved, there was still a change in kinetic energy. Since our darts really suck (they're the cheap kind with plastic tips; our mom didn't want the wall to be destroyed), sometimes a bouncy collision occurred. The dartboard didn't move because it was nailed to the wall, but the dart rebounded off the wall in the opposite direction. I'm not really sure if this was an inelastic or elastic collision, but I do know that momentum was still conserved.

1 comment:

Chris Tsuhako said...

whoa i never thought of dart board collisions before. that's a good insight.